Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's been Football Mania at our house!





Gosh, between the Colts games and both my grandsons games, we are watching football all weekend long! It's fun but I would never have thought I'd be so interested in football, LOL! The Colts are holding their own, not as good as they looked on their season opener but they are winning (knock wood). My grandsons have the football bug too. Camden had a touchdown 2 weeks ago and Braiden ran 95 yards for a touchdown last weekend.

On a different note, however.....Camden's game last weekend caused quite a stir with the parents. I don't remember (even going back to when my kids were in sports) ever being involved in a game where the parents were this emotional. Little Camden (key word little) can run and cut through the players like lightening so he was getting a ton of flags. (This is flag football, supposed to be non-contact.) The opposing team decided to put a stop to that by putting their biggest boys on him and double teaming him. They both towered over Camden and physically held him by his neck to keep him from running. They practically had the kid caged.....the ref never saw this because the play was way down field so I'm yelling at the coach (as are several other people) to look at the holding situation, or should I say choking. The coach hollars to the defensive players, "hey, what are you doing" and the other coach gets mad at him for "scaring" his players. Now remember, this is supposed to be non-contact and these boys are 4 and 5 yr olds. The opposing team had been taunting verbally and had to be reminded that this is not tackle football many times prior to this. You talk about heated! After the game the wife of the "holding" coach was ticked and was very verbal to our team parents and that was the subject of chatter everywhere amongst both teams.

Fortunately, Camden was fine and got back into the game - he was a little shaken but toughed it out. My biggest problem with this is that the opposing coach didn't see anything wrong with the way his team was playing. They are 4 and 5 yr olds and still learning right from wrong. If you fill their heads up with this kind of garbage, what are you teaching them. Yes, I know it's a dirty sport but at this age you teach them fundamentals, not how to play dirty.

Well that's enough of my football tales for now. I've been a bad blogger lately and I'm finding it hard to keep up. I'll have to work on that :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your football tales sounds alot like many of my hockey mom tales. It's so maddening to have to watch that kind of stuff!! I'm smiling just thinking of you cheering and defending your team! :) You little spitfire! hee-hee! Sooo...I leave you with this joke that we always told as hockey moms. (I'll change the words a little to fit football)

Question:
What is the difference between a football mom and a pitbull?

Answer: Lipstick. That's it. Just lipstick.

Valery said...

Love your comment Carrie!!!

It is so unfortunate that parents are like this from the mom on the sideline to the coaches! They don't realize how impressionable these little guys and gals are at this age! Unfortunately we deal with this same thing at Collin's games and he is 10!!!!

On another note...love those photos!!! You guys are too darn cute!!!