Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bountiful Harvest


It's that time of year again. I live in the country so it's not uncommon to get behind a combine moving from field to field or a tractor pulling wagons, loaded with grain. My son, Cory, is often in one of those slow-moving vehicles. He is a farmer, and proud to be one! In fact, Greg and I rode in the combine with him just this past weekend. Cory recently got a new combine (used, but new to him) and he is so proud of it. He has worked extremely hard on fine tuning all the parts, so this harvest would run smoothly. In fact, the head on that combine is so wide that it won't fit on the road. He has to take the head off and put it on a special trailer to move it from place to place. Anyway, I think Cory wanted to show off his new prize so we took him supper and rode in his awesome combine for quite awhile.

It was the first time Greg had ever been in a combine so he thought is was a very interesting experience. I, on the other hand, had done that countless times, so sharing in Cory's excitement was the fun part for me. Cory really impressed me! He drove that honkin' combine like it was a pick-up truck and knew every nook and cranny on that grain buster - way to go son!! I hope your harvest is SAFE and extremely bountiful!! (yes, the Mom in me is always concerned about safety!) I also need to add that Cory's fiance, Jennifer, was there with him the entire evening, unloading grain wagons for him. That is such a big help and she is sure appreciated :)

It was a beautiful, fall night though. A little chilly but we dressed in layers so it wasn't too bad. I took some photos of the evening sun (got there later than I wanted to) so it ended up being a little darker than I had hoped. The photo that is posted here is a picture of my sons farm, taken from a field about 1/2 mile away. You can see the grain leg in the distance, and it's almost taller than the trees. I thought Cory would enjoy seeing the landscape with the corn in the foreground.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH for farmers! I grew up around farming too and it brings back some cool memories. Good for Cory! Here's to a successful, bountiful, safe harvest for Cory!

Anonymous said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL picture, Sue! Love the story, as well. I's like to ride in a combine someday!

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo.
I hope Cory's harvest it bountiful too.
Love farming. I am a country girl at heart. Love the quiet, love the open, love the natural beauty. I'd love to have that someday.