Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dance Camp!




Last Saturday Greg and I attended "Dance Camp". WOW, was it a super fun day!! Juan De Dio and Carrie-Jo Garcia, WORLD CHAMPION SALSA DANCERS, were the "camp teachers" and it was phenominal!! On Friday night we were in amazement as we watched a 45 minute private show from them, costume changes and all. They did some really cools lifts and their footwork was fantabulous!! Here's a link if you want a sampling of their talents http://video.aol.com/video-detail/juan-de-dios-and-carrie-jo-garcia/1296395316

Camp itself consisted of a dance change every 45 minutes with short breaks in between. The last two hours of dance were more for fun but did incorporate some new things. The ladies and gents broke up and the guys worked on "manly" techniques while we ladies worked on our feminine, seductive side (boy, was that a hoot!). Little did we know that we were going to perform for each other at the end of the session! So the guys go first. I was watching Greg and when his arms flew out, like "BAM", as if to say I've arrived, I lost it! Not because it was bad, but because the men are usually our dance partners and these guys were performing as a group of guys, like in West Side Story. They had the walk, the attitude and flair of performers. It was so fun to watch but unfortunately I wasn't able to get pics. Then we ladies perform and I'm feeling like an ackward octopus that can't control her arms, LOL. The last hour we spent learning Merinque as a group and that was a blast!! I'd do it every weekend if it were possible.

Juan and Carrie Jo were awesome teachers and they made it so fun. Juan's sense of humor was da bomb! They did pose for a couple of pics after dance camp and I appreciated that :) What a GREAT day!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow- that sounds so cool! I'll have to check out that vid!

My name is Samantha said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I don't think I could get my DH to do it!!!