Thursday, October 04, 2007

Salamonie, Holiday Inn and a map










After more than 30 years, my kids (and hubby) convinced me that I needed to try camping again. The last time I camped was with my father and brother and it was primitive camping...seriously! Can you see why I had no desire to camp as an adult??!!

This past weekend I decided to buckle up and camp with Torri and her family, and Heather and Courney drove up from Indy to meet us. Bryan and Torri have a pop-up camper while Greg and I, as well as Heather and Court, slept in tents. I thought, well, I'll just bring along a map to the nearest Holiday Inn and take refuge there if need be, LOL.

Things started out a bit shaky, as Braiden took me to the closest bathroom which was a knat infested out house and NO running water. I had to hover Aubery over the "hole" in the ground so she wouldn't fall in!! I came out of there thinking if I can just make it through one night, I'll head home early. It turns out that there was a normal bathroom WITH running water nearby....thankfully. You had to remember to bring your own soap though or there was none.

We actually had a really great time! The view was incredible, as was the weather, and I so enjoyed being with my family all weekend!! Torri, Bryan and Braiden were our chefs, cooking everything over a campfire. We had pancakes, donuts, egg casserole, a tenderloin roast, chili, podgy pies (my fav!), an apple dessert she baked in the campfire and was unbelievably yummy....and of course hot dogs and s'mores! Other than Heather and Court's tent smelling like puke, everything was great. Some of the brave ones even swam in the river. We just relaxed by the campfire and the beach, skipping stones and climbing trails. We had a really nice weekend and I'm ready to do it again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a brave soul to go camping! My version of camping is the Holiday Inn :) lol You had me into it with the pancakes, donuts, egg casserole, a tenderloin roast, chili, podgy pies .... then along comes PUKE. lol! too funny BTW -- LOVE that photo of Aubrey looking out into the lake. Beautiful!

Becky C said...

Glad you had fun with the family, Sue even if you were CAMPING! I am so at the Holiday Inn. I have taken girl scouts camping when I used to lead a troop and we had severe weather EVERY time! I think I would have used your map!

Unknown said...

Sue it looks like you and your family had a great time!!

Valery said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! You are such a great mom/grandma!!!! Love the comment about the puke smell!