Monday, September 04, 2006

Nasty Hornets!

Greg came running in from outside, I thought he had been working on the deck, saying "help me help me". Immediately I thought the worst....he had a severe cut or lost a finger somehow. I ran around the corner, expecting to see blood, and he was holding his shoulder. First thought - he fell off the deck onto his shoulder and broke something. He was very frantic...almost in a panic...and after several tries, I finally understood what happened to him. He was swarmed by hornets, poor guy. No wonder he was disoriented and panicky. He must have stepped directly on a nest. His leg, right where his knee bends, his lower leg and ankle, neck and lower arm were all covered in hornet (yellow jackets to be exact) stings. Not having had this happen before (fortunately) I wasn't too sure what to do. We put him in a soda bath while I looked up instructions on the internet. Bleach seemed to work the best, put directly on the sting. We then made a soda paste and put that on the stings to dry, no Benedryl so I gave him Tylenol. He seems to be doing much better now (no allergic reaction, whew~). Lesson learned....you can never have too much baking soda on hand!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!!!
I don't want to sound like a "debbie downer", but keep a close eye on him. If his throat even begins to feel the least bit "tight" or scratchy, get him to the DR asap. The poisons from these bites can stay in your system for a long time after the bite. Poor Greg!!!! Sounds you did all the right things "nurse Sue". Yikes!!!

Unknown said...

Good grief!
I'm impressed that you knew about the soda bath! I sure don't/didn't.
Poor guy. That is AWFUL!
Hope he is feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

I would have been completely in a panic! You were cool in a crisis! Poor Greg!!!! Hope he's better today!

Anonymous said...

Wow... this makes me ache all over just to think about it! Thank goodness he isn't allergic - it could have been *gulp* very very bad! Thank goodness for Nurse Sue to the Rescue!

Anonymous said...

Well, YIKES! I would have been in more of a panic than Beth, probably! She is allergic to bee stings, though...

Hmmm... Gotta get me some Baking Soda!