Friday, June 23, 2006

Bird Flu

Yesterday I attended a lunch/learn that focused on the "bird flu". I am glad that I attended, however, part of me wishes I hadn't. It is very scary and opened my eyes! The virus will hit the US and they are predicting fall of 2006. It is estimated that it will take only 3 weeks to spread across the entire US and expected to enter the US on the east and west coasts. The virus is carried in large birds, however the birds do not get ill - they are just carriers. Right now the virus is not transmitted from human to human, but if it mutates to get to that point, it is predicted that it will become a pandemic. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and be prepared. Here are a couple of websites recommended by the Allen Co. Board of Health. This is not something to panic over but we do need to keep ourselved aware of changes and new information. Friends, if you are reading this, please take time to educate yourself about this possibility.

www.fighttheflu.org
http://wwwcidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/
www.pandemicflu.gov

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - that's all a little scary, but I guess it's better to be informed than in the dark, right?

Anonymous said...

One of my nurse friends told me about this last month. SCARY stuff!